Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never ever before have numerous scientific breakthroughs and new methods emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses millions of people the opportunity to minimize or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless method to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting recommendations from other physicians or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by fancy ads about a particular laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser. Find out who will in fact do your procedure, then inquire about that doctor's certifications (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Select a medical professional who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a medical professional does not understand can harm you.
4. Ask for details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. Discover another one if your physician will not tell you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Beware of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as excellent as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, but do not expect to see perfectly. Each patient gets a slightly different result. The finest cosmetic surgeon in the world cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgery, results Web Site are as specific as each client. Beware of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of countless people all over the world.